LOGO Property Specialist

A professional service with a difference

Landlord FAQ

We love dealing with your queries and assisting you yet where some of your questions are quite common we feel this page (featuring your most popular questions) will give you all you need to start your property adventure do not hesitate to contact us should you feel you need to.

If your property is mortgaged or held as a Lease-hold then you may need to obtain consent from the lender or freeholder before letting. This type of information is normally detailed in your mortgage/lease documentation. You should obtain all necessary consent before instructing us and make us aware of any restrictions within the head lease that your tenant will need to be made aware of.

It’s perfectly within the landlord’s right to act without an agent however, there are many legal requirements that a Landlord has to fulfil, failure to comply with these could result in criminal prosecution. We strive to stay up to date with current property legislation and our employees are trained to understand these requirements and have systems in place to ensure they are complied with. Besides, through experience we find tenants who have something to mask prefer to rent privately with the Landlord in a bid to not get found out- We have facilities & procedures in place to properly vet a potential Tenant, allowing you to be as informed as possible when making a decision about a tenant.
Most landlords already have builders insurance but it is advised to also get a specialist landlord’s insurance as your current insurance policy will very likely not be suitable and claims could be rejected if you have not taken out appropriate insurance. This is not compulsory however you should speak to your insurer and advise them of your intentions. Alternatively we can arrange this for you. It’s worth noting that you can also insure against non-payment of rent which we can assist you with and are more than happy to discuss this with you at greater length..

Yes. You have a legal responsibility to repair and maintain the property in a wind and water tight condition and fit for human habitation. You’re required to ensure that there is satisfactory provision for detecting and warning of fire (Smoke alarms need to be installed in any new build or new conversion, however we recommend it regardless of property age). You have to ensure there is an energy performance certificate rating the properties energy performance rating.

Gas Safety Regulations, Electrical Equipment Regulations and Furniture Safety Regulations all require to be complied with and compliance certificates obtained. We can assist with all of these.

Ensure it’s in good condition, both externally and internally, and must comply with all appropriate safety legislation at all times. Here are a few guidelines to achieve the best rent with minimal void periods.

  • Make sure your property looks as appealing as possible externally, keep the gardens and driveway tidy, first impressions are usually the lasting impressions.
  • Make the inside as cosmetically attractive as possible, tenants will be put off if they think they will have to decorate immediately.
  • Undertake any repair jobs before letting.
  • Make sure the property is clean and tidy before undertaking any viewings, including removing clutter. A good agent will also ensure the property is tidy, giving it the once over prior to any viewings they conduct. Our negotiators are trained to do this however this does not subtract from your responsibility.
  • Make us aware of any special features prior to letting so we can use it in our marketing e.g. good schools, transport links etc.
  • Always undertake professional cleaning between lets (we can help you with this)
  • Remember properties that are kept in better condition are likely to secure better tenants, higher rents, and have minimum periods of un-occupancy (void periods).

There are a number of various types of agreements that should be used depending on the circumstances of the tenant(s), the Landlord and the property.

In the majority of cases it will be what is called an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a fixed period of at minimum 6 months.

You will be liable to pay tax on any profit generated from letting your property - the amount of tax you pay will depend on your circumstances.

If you are overseas for more than six months in any tax year, you will be regarded as a non-resident Landlord. The current legislation requires us to deduct and pay over to the Revenue tax at the basic rate unless we are in receipt of an exemption letter from the Inland Revenue. Once we are notified by Inland Revenue that you are exempt, we will no longer need to deduct tax.

Please note that where there are joint Landlords (including married couples) an exemption is required for each Landlord. Our staff will be happy to discuss these arrangements with you.

The maintenance and upkeep of the garden is usually the responsibility of the Tenant. However, should you have a particularly large garden or any precious plants then it may be advisable to arrange for a gardener - the cost of which should be incorporated in the rental value.

It is advisable to provide the materials for maintaining your garden even if the property is unfurnished.

No. Providing furniture can make a difference to the rental rate achieved however the significance is arguable. We do find however the core renting demographic being the young professional tends to sought furnished properties.

We will advise you on the most appropriate option for your property. An unfurnished property would require carpets unless you have fitted wooden laminated flooring, curtains and usually white goods. The requirements for a furnished property vary.

As a Landlord you have a legal obligation under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 to maintain the structure of the building, the sanitation and the supply of services. In addition, should an item in the property require replacing or repairing through fair wear and tear then you would be expected within the terms of the Tenancy Agreement to deal with this. Through using our ‘Full Management’service we fully aid and assist you with anything related to‘Property Maintenance’.
We are London based at present and cover London. The days are disappearing when prospective tenants travel from real estate agency to real estate agency looking for homes to rent in any given area. They simply don't have the time. Over 95% of Brixanne Morter's tenant enquiries come from the internet and our marketing campaigns offline and online meaning that we can quickly and easily rent out properties in a very large geographic area. With our online tools we can also very quickly assess rents in any given area to determine the market value for any given property. In a nutshell, No your property is never too far for us to achieve you a result.